Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Die An Original


Die An Original

I went to Nashville, Tennessee a couple of weeks ago and hungout for a few days with high expectations of the music scene there. In my mind I was expecting to see different styles of music and amazing musicians writing great original material, just being themselves and creating something new and original. It was my hope to go there not only to meet like minded original artists but to also be inspired . That didn’t happen.

Now bare in mind this is just what I saw and heard on music row and other various places I visited. If there are some places that have original artists and people being creative, writing great original songs, I apologize. Let me know where these places are and I will definitely go see them. But, from what I saw the rest of these words I have no apologies.

As it turns out it's just like every other bar or club I have went to in any other town or city. Nashville has just capitalized on it better than any other city I have seen.

I arrived at music row on a Saturday evening at five and walked up and down both sides of the street, and two other side streets until three in the morning. Every one of them I have seen, and I must have seen at least thirty or forty bands, were all playing covers. Not different covers either, they were all playing the same top forty country songs that we've all heard a million times. All the musicians and backing bands had similar tones for their guitars, basses, keys, and playing styles. No one was even trying to make it their own with their own style of musicianship. They were all chasing the same brass ring of whatever is being played on country radio at the moment.

Now don't get me wrong, I love what’s on country radio. I'm a fan of a lot of music, but for everyone to keep chasing what has already been done is sad to watch. I understand why they do this type of formula just like every other club or bar that you go to in any town or city. It is the safe route for both the band and bar to make money. The crowd already knows what to expect. The band knows what songs to play that the crowd will like, and the bar and the band both make money. This is a very smart marketing strategy, and a safe route for all.

But me being me, I'm tired of hearing it. I would rather go out and be myself. Writing about what I feel, and be who I am, instead of spending my time learning someone else's material, trying to emulate them, sound like them, and play songs that we've all heard a million times. It's not who I am. This is time that could be spent writing new songs, recording new songs, working on your guitar style and tone, and working on an all original live set with your band. There are so many more valuable things to spend your time on musically.

Don't get me wrong, it is good to learn other bands or artist’s songs for the sake of learning and becoming better at your craft. I would never put that down. But when you spend all your time learning it, rehearsing it ,and playing it live, it becomes to unoriginal and you’re wasting your time. This is just my point of view and it's your life so do what you want. I'm just stating it how I see it.

We only have so much time on this planet to do what we love. Let alone all the rest of life that gets in the way. I would say forge your own path, write what you feel and continue to get better. If you fail on your path, learn from it and get up and keep going. Or you can use the words I live by, Die An Original!


Eric Val
Website: http://ericvalmusic.com/#/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/EricValMusic/featured?view_as=subscriber
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/eric-val
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/eric.val/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ericval27/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/EricValmusic

No comments:

Post a Comment